Trash & Recycling
Ankeny Sanitation collects residential garbage using fully automated collection vehicles. Please scroll down for information on recycling in Windsor Heights.
- To set up or end your trash and recycling services, please call Des Moines Water Works (DMWW) at 515.283.8700. Trash and recycling services begin when water service is requested. The City of Windsor Heights doesn't handle utility billing.
- Residents can have a 96 or 48 gallon cart (same price). DMWW handles the billing on behalf of the City.
- Please follow the guidelines below to ensure that your garbage collection goes smoothly.
- Please place all of your garbage (excluding yard waste and recycling) within the garbage container. Garbage that is not inside the container can not be collected.
- Please place your garbage container at the curb, with the wheels away from the street, by 6:30 a.m. on your collection day. In order for the collection vehicle to grasp the container effectively, it must be within 18 inches of the curb and at least 4 feet from any obstacles (e.g., mailboxes, signs, trees, utility structures).
- Also please close the lid on the container, and make sure it is not near any parked cars.
Purchase Large Trash Stickers
- If you have large items, or more trash than can fit in your cart, Extra Trash Pick Up Tags ($1) and Large Item Pick Up Tags ($5) be purchased at these retailers or online.
- Windsor Heights residents can purchase stickers at retailers located in other cities. They don't have to be purchased within the city of Windsor Heights.
- Pickup is on your normal collection day.
How Many Stickers Do I Need?
- Bag of trash under 30 lbs.
- Box of trash under 30 lbs.
- Kid's toys (under 30 lbs., e.g. big wheel)
- TV or computer monitor (19-inch screen and smaller)*
- 5 boxes or bags of trash (under 30 lbs. per piece)
- 5 carpet rolls (4-foot length x 18-inch diameter)
- Couch or love seat
- Door (per door)
- Entertainment center
- Grill (no propane)
- Kid's toys (over 30 lbs., e.g. big wheel)
- Kitchen chairs (4 maximum)
- Kitchen sink
- Push mower (drained of gas and oil)
- Sectional (one $5 sticker per piece)
- Single/double box spring
- Single/double mattress
- Snowblower (drained of gas and oil)
- Toilet (one $5 sticker per piece)
- Window (one)
$10 (2 - $5 stickers)
- Queen/king mattress
- Queen/king box spring
- Appliances (Fridges or freezers of any size ((doors must be removed)), washers, dryers, microwaves, etc.)
- Schedule Pick Up for Appliances - Since different trucks collect and recycle appliances, residents must schedule an appliance to pick up with ASI at 515-964-5229.
If you don't want to purchase stickers, and would rather self-haul, most of these items can either be taken to Metro Park East Landfill or the 2nd Saturday residential trash drop-off at Metro Northwest Transfer Station (keep in mind this excludes appliances).
Who Do I Call?
- For a missed trash collection? Call ASI, your garbage hauler at 515.964.5229
- For trash cart repair/replacement? Call ASI, your garbage hauler at 515.964.5229
- To start/stop trash service? To set up or end your trash service, please call Des Moines Water Works at 515.283.8700. Garbage service begins when water service is requested. If it’s a new home, a cart will be delivered shortly after. Garbage service ends when water is canceled. When you move, leave your cart with the house.
- To request an extra cart (for a fee)? Please email your name and address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To set up or end your trash and recycling services, please call Des Moines Water Works at 515.283.8700. Trash and recycling services begin when water service is requested. The City of Windsor Heights doesn't handle utility billing.
The containers are picked up every other week on your normal garbage collection day.
To request a different container size or for more information, contact Waste Management at 515-24-GREEN (515-244-7336).
Review a list of acceptable and unacceptable items to recycle.
Windsor Heights collection is the black lid schedule. View the 2021 schedule.
Missed collections should be reported to Waste Management at 515-24-GREEN (515-244-7336). Windsor Heights Public Works Department can not collect missed Curb It! recycling.
If you have more recycling than will fit in your cart, Metro Waste Authority offers several drop-off location for mixed use items, glass, and cardboard. Click here to learn more.
Drop-Off in Colby Park
Metro Waste Authority has glass and recycling drop-off containers in Colby Park. They are a convenient way to recycle extra cardboard and glass and are located on the west side of the Colby Park parking lot.
Who Do I Call?
- For a missed recycling collection? Call Waste Management (hauler) your recycling hauler at 515.244.7336
- For recycling cart repairs/replacement? Waste Management (hauler), your recycling hauler at 515.244.7336
- To start/stop recycling service? Call Des Moines Water Works at 515.283.8700. Recycling service begins when water service is requested. If it’s a new home, choose a 96- or 48-gallon cart at this time. The cart will be delivered shortly after. Recycling service ends when water is canceled. When you move, leave your cart with the house.
- To request a different size recycling cart (96 and 48-gallon carts available)? Please email your name and address to email@example.com.
If the following holidays fall during the week, the collection will be delayed one day for both trash and recycling.
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Labor Day
- July 4th