Permits & Inspections
How to Apply for a Permit
- Download a permit application from the list below.
- Send your application AND site plans to Emily from Safe Building at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-333-4161 (unless the permit indicates otherwise). Safe Building is contracted by the City to handle permits/inspections, will process your application, and answer any of your questions.
- The City maintains sewer inspection services and handles sidewalk and driveway permits and inspections. Please send those permits to email@example.com.
- The City of Windsor Heights will contact you for payment once Safe Building has approved your permit. All payments are to be made to the City of Windsor Heights. Permits are not valid until payment has been made.
To help move the permit process along quicker, please submit a site plan with distances to property lines and other structures and building plans with detail for your projects in addition to their permit applications.
- Commercial Mechanical
- Commercial Plumbing
- Conditional Use Permit
- Construction Site Erosion & Sediment Control
- Driveway/Sidewalk + ROW
- Electrical Permit - electrical permits and inspections are handled by the state. Please contact Steve Nisser at 515-210-7294.
- Fiber Optic Cable License
- Home Base Business
- Mobile Food Unit
- Right-of-Way Permit
- Residential Mechanical & Plumbing
- Temporary Structure (Commercial)
- Temporary Structure (Residential)
- Temporary Use
- Temporary Public Way Obstruction Permit
- Temp Noise
- Site Plan Submittal Application
- Special Events
Please click here to see when inspections are required during a project. Please contact Safe Building Iowa to schedule your inspection.
Please contact Safe Building Iowa (not the City) at 515-333-4161 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the status of your permit.
Do You Need a Permit?
Not sure if your project requires a permit? Click here to learn what projects require a permit, what the permit should include, and if you will need an inspection.
- Deck permit requirements
- Home addition permit requirements
- Garages, sheds, & other accessory structures permit requirements
- New Home Permit Requirements
- Trade permits: When trade permits are submitted, please make sure they are signed. If a contractor is filling out the permit, please include the business name. When a contractor applies for a permit, a contractor license number is required as well as a master license number (two different numbers). If a homeowner is pulling their own trade permit, their name should be the only one on the permit.